> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > Will getting a medical marijuana card cause disability payments to be denied?

Will getting a medical marijuana card cause disability payments to be denied?

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 20th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - Washington
More details to this question:
My brother-in-law can not work due to spinal injury - he refuses to take pain meds due to the side effects - will he have any problems with his disability payments if he gets a medical marijuana prescription from his doctor?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 23rd, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Richard you ask an interesting question.  From the way you phrase the question, it sounds as though your brother-in-law is already receiving disability payments, that is, the Social Security Administration (SSA), has found him disabled.  If that is so, he will be reviewed by SSA sometime in the future to determine if he is still disabled.

Not being from your area, I will presume a physician prescription is required to obtain a "medical marijuana card."  If this is the case, and it is used within the terms of the prescription, it should not be a problem.  If there is "addiction" regarding the use of marijuana that changes things.    

According to the regulations of SSA, "If we find that you are disabled and have medical evidence of your drug addiction or alcoholism, we must determine whether your drug addiction or alcoholism is a contributing factor material to the determination of disability, unless we find that you are eligible for benefits because of your age or blindness."  Note that the first determination is whether the person is disabled, then another decision must be made whether drug addiction is a "material factor" of the disability.  You can read the complete regulation if you click here

If the limitations that would remain if the use of the drug (or alcohol) stopped would not be disabling, SSA will find the person not disabled.  If the limitations that would remain if the use of the drug (or alcohol) stopped would be disabling, SSA will find the person disabled. 

This law regarding DA&A was created through an Act of Congress in 1996.  An Emergency Teletype with Questions and Answers about the changes appear at the following link, and are still useful today.

I would recommend contacting a local attorney that is well versed in Social Security Disability law.  Click the house in the upper left "Find A Lawyer" if you need help finding a local attorney. 

 hope this answers your question, and good luck.  



No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums