> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > Should I get paid SSI backpay from the time I first applied (2008) and was denied or the second time I applied and was approved (2 months ago)

Should I get paid SSI backpay from the time I first applied (2008) and was denied or the second time I applied and was approved (2 months ago)

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 13th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - West Virginia
More details to this question:
I applied for SSI in 2008 and was denied. I reapplied in June and was approved yesterday. The agent said I would receive pay back to my application date in June 2011, but I thought that I was supposed to get paid back to the time of my first application in 2008. I am confused and don''t know what to do, should I be receiving more backpay than 2 months?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 17th, 2011 at 5:34 PM

It appears your 2008 application is too old to receive back-pay.

Look at your approval letter.  Usually, in the upper left-hand corner, it will say "Supplemental Security Income" if your case only involves SSI.  If that is the case, and your claim is only SSI -  your June 2011 application can be used to re-open an application filed June 2009 or later, not earlier.  At most, SSI regulations only allow a two-year re-opening time period.  20 C.F.R. §416.1488 Conditions for reopening.

To re-open two years, you must show "good cause"

(1) New and material evidence is furnished;

(2) A clerical error was made; or

(3) The evidence that was considered in making the determination or decision clearly shows on its face that an error was made.

(b) We will not find good cause to reopen your case if the only reason for reopening is a change of legal interpretation or administrative ruling upon which the determination or decision was made.

You do have the option to appeal the decision, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.


No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums