> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security > Over payment, they want money back.

Over payment, they want money back.

1 Answers. Asked on Nov 14th, 2011 on Social Security - Nevada
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:30 PM

You are not alone.  An overpayment happens every day to many people, for many reasons.  Because you didn't list why they overpaid you, I won't speculate, but I can offer some suggestions to take now that it has happened.

  1. Within TEN (10) days of the notice, appeal AND ask for a waiver  so that your monthly check will not stop.  Note that if you are unsuccessful, any money they paid you during the appeal will be part of what they are collecting.
  2. If ten days has gone by, appeal.  You have sixty (60) days from the date of the letter.
  3. Ask for a waiver of the overpayment if you don't have the money.  You will need to provide financial information to SSA so be sure that it is accurate.

You also can choose to pay back the money, and if your benefits are continuing, you can negotiate an amount to be withheld each month.  I would suggest that it be a small amount.

Good luck.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Related Questions
Check out some other great questions that you might like.
Have an Social Security Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Social Security
Social Security is a federal government program, primarily funded through payroll taxes, that provides an array of benefits to retired workers, the survivors of workers, the disabled and low-income families. Social Security attorneys typically work with one of two groups of clients. Many Social Security lawyers focus their practices on working with those whose applications for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD or SSDI) have been denied. These attorneys assist clients at eligibility hearings and throughout the appeals process. Other Social Security law firms represent those who have been accused of Social Security fraud and those who are victims of Social Security fraud.
Have an Social Security Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums