> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > my mom is stealing my disability checks and trying to control my life help

my mom is stealing my disability checks and trying to control my life help

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 12th, 2015 on Social Security Disability - New York
More details to this question:
time and time again I have asked for her to switch them over into my name she just wont technically isn't that stealing? She will not give me any money towards getting out on my own for example getting my permit, license, or any form of id. My mom even has a restraining order on my and my girlfriend and I even though we haven't done anything she called the cops trying to get my girlfriend arrested for no reason and that is the issue I'm dealing with at the moment please help as I am unsure of what to do or how to go about this whole matter
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 14th, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Reporting fraud is a very serious thing, and not something I recommend without first attempting to do what you refer to - have the benefits paid to you.  In addition, you can request that you receive an accounting for where your money is going if it isn't going to you.

This answer assumes you are an adult, of legal age in your state.  According to the SSA website:

You have the right to receive your own Social Security check unless SSA believes you are not capable of managing or directing the management of your money.

If you have a representative payee because of a physical or a mental disability, in order to become your own payee, you must show SSA that you are now mentally and physically able to handle your money yourself. You could provide:

  1. A doctor's statement that there has been a change in your condition and that the doctor believes you are able to care for yourself; or
  2. An official copy of a court order saying that the court believes that you can take care of yourself; or
  3. Other evidence that shows your ability to take care of yourself.

Note:  If SSA believes your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need a payee, we may reevaluate your eligibility for disability payments.


No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums