> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > If I have hired an attorney to fight for my rights to get disability and I am not happy with that attorney''s performance, can I get another attorney?

If I have hired an attorney to fight for my rights to get disability and I am not happy with that attorney''s performance, can I get another attorney?

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 12th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - Indiana
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Dec 13th, 2011 at 10:59 PM

The answer to your question is yes, you can get another attorney.   Does the attorney or members of the attorney's staff know that you are unhappy and not satisfied with the performance thus far?  In my experience, communication broke down somewhere, and a little effort, from both sides, can remedy the problem.

However, move cautiously and wisely, and in sequence if you decide to fire your attorney.  No doubt you have a fee agreement.  If you have one, and before you fire an attorney, review as it relates to fee agreements.  If the attorney does not agree to waive the fee for work done "thus far" it may be very difficult to find an attorney that will take your case.

After all of the above, advise the attorney you want to discharge her or him, and request that a letter be sent to SSA and a copy to you.   Politely request that the fee be waived (no fee charged).  Make it clear that you will pay expenses, and go pay them before the letter is written as a show of good faith if the attorney agrees to waive the fee.  But remember, they do not and are not required to waive it.  Fees and expenses are two different things - re-read the fee agreement if you don't understand.

CAUTION: industry-wide, not just in Social Security, but in all areas of the law, attorneys are very skeptical of being the "second" lawyer on a case.  Fair warning.

Of course, click the house at the upper left to "Find a Lawyer" if that is indeed what you end up having to do.



No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums