> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > If i have a medical document that was signed by my family doctor stating that im permanently disabled and a perfect candidate for SS or SSI

If i have a medical document that was signed by my family doctor stating that im permanently disabled and a perfect candidate for SS or SSI

2 Answers. Asked on Oct 09th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Pennsylvania
More details to this question:
Please Advice if i could file or i could get help from a lawyer
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I would call that a good start.

You can certainly file and it is free to do so at 

The reason it is "a good start" is that the statement is a conclusion, and one that is reserved to the Commissioner of the Social Security Administration to make, based on evidence.  You will need more than the medical document.

It would be good to consult an attorney (see link below) as it can be frustrating and confusing to find your way through what is necessary to win your case.  Often, without help, it is too hard on you - after all, you are suffering from a medical disability.

PLEASE NOTE the following: 

  • An attorney-client relationship is not being established because of the information provided above;
  • an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem;
  • DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer;
  • facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question;
  • NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have - legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time
  • time limits can completely prohibit recovery;
  • TO SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY go to to find someone in your state.

 Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.


No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Answered on Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Although medical documentation from a treating physician documenting your disability and limitations is very helpful, it may not be enough to make you eligible you for SSDI or SSI. The Social Security Administration uses a sequence of steps in determining whether a particular medical condition or a particular set of limitations make the applicant eligible.  Many factors play a role in determining eligibility including medical conditions, age, education, prior work experience, and the ability to perform work related tasks such as standing, sitting, and lifting. There are also criteria that are not directly related to your disability such as citizenship status.

If you have applied for benefits and have not yet been denied, submit a copy of your doctor's report to your local Social Security Administration office.  Your doctor's opinion will carry considerably more weight if it is supported by copies of lab reports or medical test results that support the opinion.

If you have been denied benefits you should consult with a lawyer who practices Social Security Disability Law.

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums