> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > i have been off work since april with back problems. it is no better, i am going to specialist and my problem is internal. who do i turn for help

i have been off work since april with back problems. it is no better, i am going to specialist and my problem is internal. who do i turn for help

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 12th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - Kentucky
More details to this question:
i am not able to do my job. i have worked the last 30 and my family need help with food and bills
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 16th, 2012 at 1:47 PM

To receive help for food and bills, find resources to help feed your family and pay your bills.  You are probably in uncharted waters if you have worked that long, but you now must ask for help.  This list has some examples, and once you get going, you will find many others: local food bank; utility assistance for water, gas and electric; local churches (whether you attend or not & whether you are a member or not - and as many as you can contact) - they will often help with rent or some other resource in your area; Salvation Army; Red Cross; Catholic Charities, Lutheran Family Services; free or reduced cost medical care; ask relatives and friends for help during this time that is expected to be temporary, etc.

"Temporary" as stated above as either you will get back in the work force or receive disability benefits.  To be considered disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA) you must suffer from a medical condition (physical or mental) that is expected to last for 12 months or more and prevents the person from working 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.  Note: this is not just the job that you have done for 30 years, it is any job.

If this applies to you, do not delay.  Apply.  Submit copies of what records you have and give a complete list to SSA of the doctors you have seen and they will obtain them for you.

You can apply in person, by phone, or online.  If you are denied, seek competent counsel by going to and finding someone near you.  Hire counsel now if you feel uncomfortable proceeding alone or due to your health are not up to the task.

PLEASE NOTE that an in person consultation is always best when you have a legal problem. DO NOT RELY on information for a legal remedy without having contacted a lawyer. Facts and circumstances of every case have to be applied to the law that is relevant for the state or location in question.

NEVER rest on a right or defense you may have. Legal rights are not like wine - they don't improve with age or time. Time limits can completely prohibit recovery. SEEK LEGAL ADVICE IMMEDIATELY.  Go to to find someone in your state.

Be sure to visit my website for answers to other Social Security Disability questions.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums