> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > I filed for social security disability in 2001 and was denied; recently filed again and have been found disabled. will back pay go back to orig denial

I filed for social security disability in 2001 and was denied; recently filed again and have been found disabled. will back pay go back to orig denial

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 30th, 2011 on Social Security Disability - Louisiana
More details to this question:
How far back will retro benefits be paid? Will social security go back to the original denial of 2001?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Oct 01st, 2011 at 7:51 PM

My answer to your question is a very general answer as the specific facts, perhaps unknown to you at this time.  All of those facts will be detailed in letters you receive from the Social Security Administration (SSA). You will receive a "Notice of Award" describing how much you will receive and how the amounts were computed. I recommend to my clients that they should keep all such letters from SSA in a safe and secure place.

The furthest back your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits will be paid is twelve (12) months from the date you applied, and no, you probably won't be paid back to 2001. For example, if you applied June 01, 2011, the earliest payment month benefits would be paid is June 2010. If you are also entitled to SSI (Supplemental Security Income) benefits, the first month of payments is the first full month after the date of the SSI application, which in this example would be July 2011.

However, the critical piece of information as it relates to you is what date did SSA determine you became disabled? The reason that is important is that there is a 5 full month waiting period after that date before SSDI benefit payments are made. If you were found disabled December 15, 2009, then June 2010 would be your first month of disability payments.

Congratulations on receiving benefits that you must obviously deserve.


No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums