> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > how do I recieve the rest of my back-pay

how do I recieve the rest of my back-pay

1 Answers. Asked on May 08th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Colorado
More details to this question:
I was approved for dis-ability in June of 2012. I was found eligible from July of 2011. They said that I would get 2,094 in June 2,094 in April and the rest in August. They only gave me the 2,094 in June of 2012 and said that they don't owe me anything else. I since lost my paperwork and They won't give me the rest of my back-pay. I went to the office in April of 2013 and they said that it was a mix-up and gave me a paper to fill out. I filled it out in April 3 2013 and sent it to the address on the form and haven't heard from them yet. I called in May 8 and they said that they didn't have any form and they don't owe me anything else.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 08th, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Rule #1 - everything SSA sends you is important.  Keep it in a safe place with all other items from SSA, preferably in a water-proof container in a secure place in your home, or where you know it will be safe.  SSA does not keep a copy of the letters that they send to you.

Rule #2 - document who, when, how and where you speak to SSA about this issue, and any other.

For this problem, send a letter to the local SSA office setting out the problem as you have done here.  In the final paragraph, demand that a new assessment of your backpay be completed and that you be notified in writing.  Hand deliver the letter and get a paper receipt or copy of the letter with a notation from the official that received in the event you have to prove later that you hand delivered it.

If the decision is that they owe you no money, and the reasoning or logic or facts are not correct, appeal.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums