> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security > How can I prevent my stepmother from receiving retirement after my father's death?

How can I prevent my stepmother from receiving retirement after my father's death?

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 10th, 2017 on Social Security - New Jersey
More details to this question:
My father passed away on October 13, 2016. On exactly that day I was inform by his girlfriend that they get married almost two years ago but this marriage was for financial benefits for her after his death. She did not work and she wanted to collect a retirement after his death. They did not lived together and did not have much relationships with each other. My father was dating with different girl. Also, I did not know that he was even married to that lady. He divorced 5 years ago with my mom with who he was married over 20 years. My question is how I can prevent this lady who married my father for financial purpose only from collecting the retirement after his death?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 11th, 2017 at 7:18 AM

Its gong to be really difficult to undo the choices your father made on his retirement. If your father has already passed away, that choice of allowing the benefits to go to your step mother is done and can't be changed.  The good news is that your mother will still be able to get some of the Social Security benefit because she was married for more than 10 years.  

Report Abuse
Social Security
Social Security is a federal government program, primarily funded through payroll taxes, that provides an array of benefits to retired workers, the survivors of workers, the disabled and low-income families. Social Security attorneys typically work with one of two groups of clients. Many Social Security lawyers focus their practices on working with those whose applications for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD or SSDI) have been denied. These attorneys assist clients at eligibility hearings and throughout the appeals process. Other Social Security law firms represent those who have been accused of Social Security fraud and those who are victims of Social Security fraud.
Have an Social Security Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

328 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums