> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > Do I qualify for SSDI or SSI if I am a college student and have been out of work for more than a year, per doctor's orders?

Do I qualify for SSDI or SSI if I am a college student and have been out of work for more than a year, per doctor's orders?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 07th, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Maryland
More details to this question:
I had a severe shoulder injury my doctor says will not allow me to work in my profession ever again. I have been doing this work for 29 years and do not know how to do anything else.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 08th, 2013 at 1:47 PM

First, I am sorry that you can no longer do the job that you did for so long.  It is rare for someone to work in one profession that long.  However, the answer really depends on more facts than you have supplied.

If one can't return to their previous work due to a medical condition for 12 months or more, that is just the start of a disability case.

The question then becomes can you do "any" other jobs.  Though you "do not know how to do anything else" there are unskilled jobs that can be learned "on the job" in 30 days or less.  If you can do one of these jobs, and the job exists in significant numbers in the national or regional economy, you will be found not disabled.

The facts and circumstances of every case are different.  Many attorneys provide the initial consultation, either by phone or in person, for free.  I encourage you to contact someone in your area.  This website makes that easy to do.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums