> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > Children recieve Social Securty when father get 100% Social Security for a disability

Children recieve Social Securty when father get 100% Social Security for a disability

1 Answers. Asked on May 21st, 2013 on Social Security Disability - Arizona
More details to this question:
I just need a little information. My ex grandson in law was just award 100% Social Security disability. He has 2 children with his ex wife ages 8 and 10. She was award child support and sole custody 7 yrs ago. Never paid but does see the children. He is remarried with 2 children 2 and 4. He called and told her he would now give her some money ( no one knows how much). Shouldn't Social Security send her a separate check for these children. Thank you
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 21st, 2013 at 11:00 PM

It depends on the type of benefits he is receiving:  SSI or SSDI. Three possibilities:

  1. Nothing for children from SSA if SSI.  
  2. Nothing from SSA for SSDI if his earnings during his work career aren't enough.  
  3. Finally, for SSDI benefits SSA will pay children provided there are funds available based upon the disabled father's wages during his working career.  If so, that amount ($X) will be divided by the number of children.  From your description, if I understand it, each child would receive $X/4

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

330 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

222 Answers, 42 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

179 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

98 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

98 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Stephen A. Black

Attorney - Florida

65 Answers, 11 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums