> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Social Security Disability > Can Social Security Administration reduce my benefits for an old worker''s comp claim over 3 years old?

Can Social Security Administration reduce my benefits for an old worker''s comp claim over 3 years old?

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 05th, 2012 on Social Security Disability - California
More details to this question:
I''ve been receiving SSDI since 2004. At that time I was trying to sue my (ex) employer''s Worker Comp Insurance carrier. I won a partial portion of the suit and received monies up until 2008, while receiving SSDI. Recently I received a letter from Soc. Sec. asking me for info on my workers comp claim and they may reduce my pmts. My Attorney can''t be found and I don''t have records from 4 to 8 years ago. I''m petrified that they''ll reduce my pmts.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I am sorry for your fear and encourage you to act quickly.

The State you lived in when you were injured should have records at the Court for your settlement.  Hopefully, it will include both the attorney fee and expenses, as those amounts that you paid to get your settlement are not used when calculating the offset.  Also, the State Bar Association where you were injured should have information of the whereabouts of your work comp attorney. would be another way to seek that lawyer as well as a simple GOOGLE search.

By law, SSA can and will offset your benefits if you received more than "80 percent of your average pre-injury/illness earnings."  For more information, click here.  I recommend that you seek legal counsel and negotiate a monthly payment amount to pay back what you can handle.

Good luck.

No attorney-client relationship has been established because of the information provided. Seek local counsel to address your particular facts. MJHJ

Report Abuse
Social Security Disability
If you're suffering from a disability that prevents you from working, you may be entitled to benefits under Social Security disability insurance (SSD or SSDI). Social Security disability attorneys can work with you to file your application for benefits. Because the Social Security Administration routinely denies the majority of initial claims, your SSD lawyers can also prepare for your hearing before an administrative law judge, attend all hearings, advocate on your behalf and file an appeal if your application has been denied. Hire an SSDI law firm as soon as you need to apply for SSDI. The faster your application is approved, the more quickly you will begin to receive benefits.
Have an Social Security Disability Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums